Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Max

Hello, and welcome to the latest edition of Thankful Thursday!

As always, I will begin with something I am thankful for with regard to my son. I am thankful that, despite the learning challenges that are a lingering reminder of the malnutrition and neglect that he suffered before he came to us, my son works hard at his schoolwork and always has something clever to say about what he's learning. For example, today we were reading about the Assyrians. Although my son kept referring to Hammurabi as an Assyrian (for the record, he was a Babylonian), our reading did remind us of a long-ago Assyrian who is both famous and well-loved in our home (that's right, we have a favorite Mesopotamian!): Ashurbanipal. For those not in the know, Ashurbanipal is credited with establishing the first library. My son announced to me, "When I grow up, if I ever start a library, I'm going to call it the Ashurbanipal Branch Library!" Kudos to my son and his irrepressible spirit. No matter the challenges he has and continues to face, he always bounces back and is ready to plow forward.



Today I would like to introduce you to Max. Max will turn fifteen this year, and is his story is heartbreaking. Max is a smart, attractive boy who is a very good actor. He also has a beautiful singing voice. However, Max has strabismus in one eye and a slight limp (possibly due to a back issue), and he is therefore teased and picked on by the children where he lives.  Other children push him down. Max is very unhappy with his living situation and, when a hosting organization interviewed him, he said, "Please get me out of here. I hate it here."



Every day, Max asks the director of his school whether a family has come for him. He has been eligible for hosting, but no family has ever chosen him.



Max is running out of time. Because he will turn 15 this year, he is close to aging out of the system. Max needs a family!




You can read more about Max here and here. Both were written by people who have met and spent time with Max.



If you are interested in Max, please feel free to send me a message. I can put you in touch with several people who know Max and can tell you more about him. Also, please donate to increase Max's grant fund and share Max's photo and information. Let's find this boy a family!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    My husband and I are adopting from Ukraine and are hoping to travel in a couple of months. Is Max available for hosting? And if so, which organization? We are working with Oleg Marynenko and I am going to ask him about getting a student visa for Max if possible. Thank you for advocating for these children! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can contact New Horizons for Children for information about hosting. The last I heard, hosting was not a possibility for Max, but things may have changed.

    ReplyDelete