Monday, October 8, 2012

The Boys of My Heart



You know these boys. If you are a regular reader of my blog, you know I'm out to make sure that you don't forget them.

If you are new to my blog, let me quickly introduce my boys. Jack, on the left, turns 12 this month. Fate has smiled on Jack; he has a family coming for him. In the middle we have the boy to whom I have referred as "the brown-eyed thief of my heart." This is a boy of many aliases -- he has been known as Denis, Dennis, David, and Elliot. He is 10. On the right is 9-year-old Jason, hidden away in a remote institution and often overlooked.

These are the three boys who have stolen my heart just a little bit more than anyone else. These are the three for whom I won't rest until they are home. These are the boys of my heart.

I have some news about each of my boys today.


Jack's family is diligently saving and fundraising to reach their $40,000 adoption fee. In order to help out, I am currently running a fundraiser for the month of October, Jack's birthday month. For a donation of $5 (or more), you may submit a photo of your child, your pet, or yourself/your family holding a sign that says, "I Helped Bring Jack Home!" or "We Helped Bring Jack Home!" I'm very excited about this fundraiser because I will take all the pictures and set them to the song Three Little Birds by Bob Marley, and one day the little boy who believed he was all alone in an overseas orphanage will know that so many people cared about him all along.

You can donate to Jack's adoption grant here or through the link in the upper left sidebar of my blog. After you've done so, drop me a line through the Contact Me button in the right sidebar of my blog or at jacks12birthday@gmail.com and attach your picture. The goal of this fundraiser is $280, which will pay for Jack's visa and passport.


Denis has been listed with Reece's Rainbow! I told you that he is a young man of many aliases. Reece's Rainbow was gracious enough to allow me the opportunity to provide the alias for him, and I selected the name Elliot. When you click through to his Reece's Rainbow page, that is how you will see him listed. He's the same sweet boy I have been advocating for all the time, and now his visibility has increased substantially. I am thrilled for Elliot!

Additionally, Denis/Elliot/David was the subject of a recent front-page article at a leading Canadian website called Chick Advisor. The website has a readership of up to 3 million people, so millions more people have now seen my darling boy's face. Again, he as a different alias, but it's still the same amazing kid!

To avoid confusion, I will henceforth be referring to the child whom I called Denis as Elliot.


Jason remains Jason, but I have new photos and a video of Jason. Unfortunately, his grant fund remains disappointingly low. I have made a commitment to donate to it monthly, but between Jason, Elliot, and Jack, as well as the other charities to which I donate (which include Maya's Hope, AHOPE for Children, Tibet Aid, and Kiva), I am not able to substantially increase Jason's fund.



Beautiful Jason ... confined to a crib because he requires too much attention to be able to roam freely. So starved for attention that he has to bang and tap on his surroundings for stimulation. So deprived of stimulation that he hits himself and bangs his head on the crib bars to get it. Do you see the ugly bruise above Jason's right ear? It's self-inflicted. This poor sweet boy has bruises in pictures taken across a wide range of time.



A volunteer who met Jason had this to say about him: 

[Jason] is cognitively at a developmental age of between somewhere around 12 - 18 months. He therefore loves to explore things with his hands. Everything is new to him and when he taps it makes a wonderful noise; he also likes to flap things. Not having regular stimulation from humans or even objects has led to him finding his own ways to pass time. The two things he does most are tap the temples of his head with his fingers and knock his temples against his cot sides. From this he will a get certain amount of chemicals that the body produces which are addictive, it helps pass the time and he's done it so long that it's ingrained. Due to these behaviours and lack of care provision he is often found with his hands tied above his head so as reduce likelihood of injury. I'm not an expert but have quite a lot of experience. All he needs is for some one to have enough time to love him individually and not with all the other kids in the building. He would then soon find less damaging ways of exploring and passing the time.

Jason needs OUT of the crib. He needs OUT of the institution and INTO a family. Jason has waited years for the love of a mother and a father. In a family he could get the love, stimulation, and therapy that he needs, and he would flourish.

Please share Jason's photo, video, and information. You never know who is considering adoption, and you never know who will see a child's face and realize that they are looking at their own child.

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your support of orphaned boys worldwide.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing what you are doing for these kids. Really beautiful. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! Your encouragement means a lot!

    ReplyDelete