Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Waiting Wednesday: Ruslan (+ How Sharing Finds Kids Families)

Today I would like to introduce you to Ruslan. Doesn't he look like the happiest little guy ever? Ruslan is how I found out about Reece's Rainbow. A friend of mine who had adopted a little boy listed on RR decided to have a virtual baby shower for her newest child. Instead of asking for baby items for herself, she asked people to donate to Ruslan's adoption grant fund. I made my donation and then began poking around the site. I discovered the page for HIV+ boys ages 10+, saw Jack, and the rest is history. It has been my honor and privilege to advocate for these children, and many more, over the last 4 1/2 months.

Ruslan will turn 10 years old in November. He has already been transferred to an institution. He is a carrier of Hepatitis B, but it is unknown at this time whether he is actually infected. If you have any questions about Hepatitis B, please don't hesitate to contact me. One of my children is living with this virus.

Because Ruslan has already been transferred, a family interested in adopting him must be homestudy approved. Total costs for his adoption should be less than $24,000. His region requires one to two trips, and due to his location, travel should be fairly easy.

Ruslan currently has $7241.50 in his grant fund! Approximately 1/3 of his adoption costs have already been raised! This little boy is in desperate need of a family. A ten year old boy does NOT belong in a mental institution. He belongs in a family who will shower him with all the love he has missed and provide him with the appropriate education and services so that he can reach his full potential.

You can help Ruslan by donating to increase his grant fund, sharing his information, and considering whether he has a place in your family. 

My husband and I made the decision to adopt before we ever were married (in fact, I broached the subject on our second date--I don't mess around!--and had my husband not been interested in adopting, there would have been no third date!). We didn't know much about adoption at that time. I had worked as a foster care social worker for several years, but for various reasons we preferred to adopt internationally. You can read here about our journey to adoption. 

Thanks to the generosity and advocacy of other adoptive families, we found our kids. I have always been of the opinion that we have a duty, as adoptive parents of these most forgotten children, to do what we can for the ones who have been left behind. I have talked to countless families over the years about our experiences with adoption, and I am proud to say that I have played a part, however small, in several children being found by their forever families. I hope that the families I have shared with have turned around and done the same for others. But as my experience with finding Reece's Rainbow demonstrates, there is always a new way to help, there is always a new opportunity to advocate, and there is always a new child out there, waiting to be found. 

Because my friend shared her in-lieu-of baby shower with me, I have been able to share all of these children with you. It amazes me how the network keeps growing, how the opportunities keep expanding, and how many more children have the opportunity to grow up as cherished family members and not neglected wards of the state, because we all work together for the good of these precious orphans.

Please share about Ruslan. Please share about any other child you see on my blog who catches your heartstrings. Please share about any child you find, anywhere, who needs your advocacy. Please share about the conditions of children in overseas orphanages and the opportunities to help them. Please share about the amazing, incredible organizations, such as Reece's Rainbow and Maya's Hope, who bring light into the darkest places and offer love and the chance for a better life to these most vulnerable of children. You never know what the impact of your sharing will be. Together, we make a difference every day.


Please don't forget about Dmitry, who still waits.

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for your support of orphaned boys worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment