Sunday, August 12, 2012

Thoughts on a Sunday Evening

Welcome, friends, to TWOB. It's good to know that these boys whom I care for so dearly are being seen by regular visitors as well as new ones. Please consider leaving a comment if you read something that resonates with you.



I'd like to remind you again of the fundraiser for Jack being held over on his parents' blog. The good news is that they already have half the funds they need to complete the adoption! More than $20,000 has been raised so far for Jack! The not so good news is that Jack resides in one of the most expensive regions in the world to adopt from. Please help them raise the next half of Jack's ransom so that this lovely child can be home with his parents where he belongs!



Please also consider making a donation to Oliver, who has a matching grant until August 19th. Every dollar you donate will be matched up to $2000. Together we can raise Oliver's grant to $7546.80! 


Also, please don't forget Denis. I have worked hard to get his photo and story out there and to set up a grant fund for him. Denis needs our help to get out of the orphanage and into a family who will love him for the treasure he is. Denis' future is bleak if he is not adopted. Please donate to increase his grant, share his photo and information, and consider whether he has a place in your family. You can donate to Denis' fund by clicking the link at the top of the right sidebar of this page.


And finally, little Jason still waits. More information about Jason is forthcoming. In the meantime, please donate to increase Jason's grant fund, and please share his information far and wide. Jason is one of the children who is frequently overlooked, and I intend to make sure this no longer happens. Jason desperately needs a family.

I had intended to use this past week to create a post about the orphanage that was featured in Ukraine's Forgotten Children as well as highlight some of the organizations who are working hard to help improve the lives of the children there. However, as the kids were at camp all week, my husband and I took the opportunity to repaint and redecorate their room, and it literally took the entire week. It looks great, though, and the kids love it, so it was worth every second we spent on it. Look for more information about the orphanage and the people who are helping out in an upcoming post. 

I would like to share a personal success story with you, though. I am not a professional fundraiser. I am not an especially assertive or outgoing person. I am neither organized nor a take-charge type. However, last week while I was visiting the dentist (on my only break from the kids' bedroom), I was sitting in the chair and the thought occurred to me to ask for help for the orphanage I mentioned above. One of my sweet boys resides there. When the dentist came in, I took a deep breath and asked, "Would your office be able to donate some toothbrushes to an orphanage in Ukraine?" The dentist looked mildly surprised and asked, "How many?" "Would two hundred be doable?" I replied. To my surprise, the dentist said he would get me two hundred toothbrushes AND he would throw in a few cases of toothpaste! 

I am lucky enough to be in contact with an organization that can make sure these supplies get to the orphanage. It may not be a huge thing, but it's something, and it will help. I surprised myself in asking and I was surprised by the answer. In one of my very first posts on this blog I mentioned that we can all find a way to make a difference. A spur-of-the-moment thought of mine will be making a difference for some of the most forgotten children. You can make a difference, too! You can copy my idea and ask your dentist for a donation. You can ask a toy company for toys. You can ask a shoe company for shoes. You can ask a formula company or a diaper company for donations. You can donate to a child's grant fund, share his picture, sponsor a child, financially support an orphanage, speak out about what happens to these children. You can send books or crayons or Matchbox cars. You can visit children in an orphanage. You can do something that no one has ever thought of before! You know what your skills are, and you are only limited by your imagination.

Together, we can improve the lives of those most in need.

Thanks for visiting, and thanks for your support of orphaned boys worldwide.

1 comment:

  1. "You can do something that no one has ever thought of before! You know what your skills are, and you are only limited by your imagination."

    I love that SO much!!! It is so true. Each person acting on what God has put in them to do is what changes lives. Thank you for doing your part!!!!


    ReplyDelete